• Steinbach 204.326.3442 - 85 PTH 12 North, Steinbach, MB, R5G 1A7
  • Niverville 204.388.9300 - Box 1120, 62 Main Street, Niverville, MB, R0A 1E0

Residential Tenancies: Notice to Move Requirements

Landlords must give tenants a notice to move out based on the vacancy rate (applicable to their region) if they need the tenant to move out because the:

  • Landlord is moving into the unit
  • Landlord is renovating the rental unit and tenants cannot live in the unit while the work is being done
  • Landlord is demolishing the unit
  • Landlord is changing the use of the unit to a non-residential use.

The Residential Tenancies Branch uses the vacancy rates that are set out in the CMHC’s most current fall edition of the Rental Market Reports.

A tenant in a fixed-term tenancy must receive notice to move that coincides with the end of their tenancy agreement.  If the tenant is on a month-to-month tenancy and the vacancy rate is below 3%, the landlord must give the tenant 3 months’ notice.

Below is an update of the vacancy rates and required notice periods:

Area                                                Notice Required
3 months
Winnipeg                                         4 months
Hanover                                           4 months
Brandon                                           4 months
Thompson                                       4 months
Portage La Prairie                          3 months
Winkler                                             5 months
Manitoba Average                         4 months

How we Can Help

We understand these issues are very complex and can be stressful.  Please feel free to contact one of our lawyers for more information on the rules regarding rental properties.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Notice: The articles on our website are provided for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice or opinion. They reflect the current state of the law as at the date of posting on the website, and are subject to change without notice. If you require legal advice or opinion, we would be pleased to provide you with our assistance on any of the issues raised in these articles.